This page contains reading and listening test questions for languages assessed by American Councils. Currently, there are sample questions for five languages:
Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, and Russian. Each language includes test questions for reading and listening comprehension skills, covering the proficiency
ranges from ILR 0+ (Novice High) to ILR 2+ (Advanced High). The correct answer can be checked for each sample question by pressing the [CHECK YOUR ANSWERS] button.
If the volume of the audio tracks is too low or too high, please adjust the volume on your computer. You can replay the audio as many times as you like. American
Councils' operational assessments use test questions that are similar to these samples. When taking an American Councils’ online assessment, please keep the
following in mind:
- Operational assessments typically contain between 33 and 55 test questions per skill.
- Operational assessments are timed, so time management is an important factor in taking the test (the samples are not timed)
- Operational assessments may target a wider range of proficiency levels, as low as ILR 0 (Novice Mid) or as high as ILR 4 (Distinguished).
- For Chinese sample questions, the reading passages are displayed in both the simplified and traditional scripts. This is in contrast to
the Chinese operational questions, which provide each reading passage in only a single script according to test specifications.
- The sample items allow you to check whether or not your answers are correct. In operational assessments, your answers are saved to a database and then
analyzed and converted to a proficiency-level score.