Below you will find sample NEWL questions similar to those found on the Arabic, Portuguese, Russian, and Korean exams (reading and listening comprehension as well as speaking and writing tasks). When reviewing the questions, you can check your answers by pressing the CHECK YOUR ANSWERS button. You may need to adjust the volume of the audio tracks on your computer. You can replay the audio as many times as you like. As you prepare for the examination, please also remember that:
- Due to COVID-19 conditions, in 2020 and 2021 there are 22 reading and 18 listening questions (instead of 44 items each in a normal year).
- NEWL is a timed exam and time management is important (50 minutes total for Reading and Listening combined).
- In addition to the reading and listening sections, examinees will respond to one short writing and one short speaking task.
- For the speaking and writing tasks, examinees will receive a choice of 2 tasks, and will respond to their preferred task.
- The speaking and writing sections are 15 minutes each.
- Examinees are expected to type responses to writing questions; hand-written responses are not accepted.